Sunday, February 12, 2012

Chapter 4-Ringing Chimes

It has been my experience to sit through drawn-out boring lectures that exhibit lifeless slideshows.  Worse yet, I can recall delivering a bad PowerPoint presentation to my speech class.  I actually flipped through slides and even read off the slides.  Some of my advantages throughout my presentation were that I smiled, maintained eye contact and was in positively good mood.  I must admit I have come along way but at times still find it difficult to attain my audience’s attention. It is my goal to develop a PowerPoint presentation that not only attains the learner’s attention but most importantly achieves learning.

In chapter four of Burmark (2011), “They Snooze You Lose”, she states that we need “efficiency to meet with effectiveness” (pg. 62).  I found the chapter meaningful because as educators we need to incorporate some humor, images or even a story to hook the learner’s attention.  The objective is to assist learners in not only paying attention but maintaining their attentiveness.

Reference
Burmark, L. (2011). They Snooze You Lose: The Educator´s Guide to Successful Presentations. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment