Sunday, February 5, 2012

Chapter 1-Tweaking Presentations

As I read chapter one, in Lynell Burmark's (2011), “They Snooze You Lose”, I realized that PowerPoint is a widely powerful tool used today. Throughout my educational and professional fields I have developed many PowerPoint presentations using several templates and some of them artistically designed with many types of fonts and as I reflect back I recognize they may not have been suitable presentations. This is the first time I actually read a book designed to help educators develop effective and efficient PowerPoint presentations to not only attain learners attention but most importantly achieve learning. 


Chapter one focused on three categories templates, color and type and learned that there is more to it than selecting a background, graphics and text. In reading the chapter I understood that when it comes to slides less words is more and according to John Medina, “the average PowerPoint presentation should contain forty words” (Burmark, 2011, pg. 12).  My goal is to implement the techniques described by Burmark (2011), and enhances the delivery of the information across the curriculum areas while accommodating learners of different learning styles. 


Reference
Burmark, L. (2011). They Snooze You Lose: The Educator´s Guide to Successful Presentations. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment